Pinterest is the new kid on the block when it comes to social media sites. It is currently one of the fastest growing websites online, yet many businesses are either unaware of it, or know of Pinterest, but have no idea how to effectively market their products or services there. This creates an ample opportunity for Internet marketers who want to create a competitive advantage over the competition.
Although Pinterest is the ‘latest and greatest’ social media site, there are still some rules you need to follow to get the most out of marketing on Pinterest. Austin businesses should heed the following 10 guidelines:
- Establish a presence: Pinterest generates a TON of traffic, but many marketers make the mistake of thinking they can basically ‘spam’ the site with a few images and call it a day. While this strategy may generate some traffic, it’s much more effective to have an actual presence on the site. For Pinterest, this means someone from your organization is dedicated to putting up ‘Pins’ and interacting with others on the site.
- Develop a strategy: It is important to be strategic in the way you organize your pins. Keep them grouped by theme so it’s easy for your target market to find what they’re looking for.
- Create images specifically for Pinterest: Along the same lines as developing a sound strategy, consider creating images tailored for use on Pinterest. This will help ensure that the images are more relevant to what the Pinterest community is looking for.
- Use a variety of media: Pictures are great, but it’s also important to mix things up and keep it interesting by pinning some text and video items. Consider your target market interests and what they may like to see in order to increase the chances that they will likely re-pin your posted items.
- Understand your target market: Take the time to learn what Pinterest users in your market are doing on the site and what interests them. A little time invested in this research will pay back enormous dividends and form a deeper connection with your audience.
- Create engaging captions: Images is the core of what Pinterest is all about, but the captions you write with your pins are critical to capture the attention of your audience. Take some time to write compelling and intriguing captions.
- Pin more than just your own images: Keep yourself relevant, while not appearing as a total self-promoter by finding other people’s images and pinning them. This is a great way to build credibility in the community.
- Give credit where credit is due: When you pin third party posts, make sure you give the proper credit by linking back to the original source.
- Use Pinterest for link building: Remember that Pinterest is more than just a hot social media site. It’s also a great place to build links. From Google’s standpoint, Pinterest’s links are authoritative and relevant, so incorporate it into your overall link-building strategy.
- Don’t forget the ‘Pin Up’ button on your site: In order to fully utilize the potential of Pinterest, it is important that you get the ‘Pin Up’ button installed on your own website. This will allow your own visitors to generate viral traffic for you.
Are you ready to learn how to leverage Pinterest and other social media marketing tools to drive traffic and capture leads? Give the internet marketing experts at Ideagility a call today!