Chief Communications Officer
Elance.com provides access to over two million freelancers worldwide. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports 700,000 management analysts and that demand for these efficiency advisors will grow nearly 20% over the next decade. According to BusinessWeek there are over 400,000 consultants in the US and about 27% of this audience is self employed. Ideagility helps clients be found, and close more sales online. We’re proud service pros and business consultants, and what we’ve learned may be helpful to others.
My friends and I compiled this list that may surprise:
- It’s about them. Your clients. Your employers. It’s never about you. None of it. Not one single thing. Listen well, it’s always about them. Find happiness, consistency, strength in this simple fact and you’ll be billing hours when you’re 75.
- Forget about charging the big bucks. Charge the medium, fairly-priced-to-your-market bucks and make it a flat bid. Write a clear scope and learn to write change orders. Take a bullet for your clients every time, over deliver until your eyes feel like sand and they’ll call you back. You’ll be pining to do it all again.
- Know their business. It doesn’t matter what you do, if you’re the bookkeeper, the web designer, the temp admin or if you’re a big deal, the interim VP of Marketing, CFO or Director of Human Resources. Know your client’s business deeply and with an open, compassionate heart.
- Know your business. No excuses. Cultivate relationships with people who hire people like you, people who are like you and those who are wildly neither.
- Look for projects. Not jobs. Take pride in the fact that you are temporary. Each project has an eventual end. Plan for it with creative panache, not attachment.
- Don’t complain. Always explain when asked, just do it succinctly.
- Find ways to connect people who you think can help each other. Don’t worry about you. This, most startling of all: find ways to introduce your best clients to each other, to out-think how businesses you know should connect for a chat without a clue how you will profit from it all. The outcomes will simply blow your mind.
- Don’t try to control it all. Just roll with it and watch the projects flower.
- Whenever you’ve really over-achieved, when success is off the charts and so is your ego, watch out. Take a minute to get it together. Mom was right.