Managing our smart client’s search marketing campaigns gives us a golden opportunity to study results. Analyzing real outcomes from so many b2b’s and consumer marketers is a privilege and we want to share.
As we compiled the data, we were startled to see how closely our client results directly parallel trends reported in the Internet Retailer Survey late last year. Here are some of the search marketing developments reported by Internet Retailer that also drove significant gains in revenue for Ideagility and our clients last year:
- Now matters. Getting in-market today matters more than waiting to get it perfect tomorrow. By increasing or decreasing the investment in paid advertising automatically, as dictated by actual analysis of Return-On-Ad-Spend (ROAS).
- Our client’s customers are three times or more likely to “click on” a paid advertisement than an organic listing online.Campaign ROAS of 8X or more most frequently justified an increase in paid advertising spend for individual customers; over 65% of online retailers surveyed by Internet Retailer reported that their organic listing decreased last year, despite significant investment and due at least partially to the difficulty of keeping up with the frequent Google changes in API that determine free rankings.
- Single topic paid advertising campaigns drove more conversions than generic campaigns that shared multiple products or services; 70% of survey responders reported spending 20% or more of total marketing dollars on paid ads online, and more than one third credit search with generating 50% or more of company sales.
- Our customers drove conversions higher by ‘going local’ with refined keywords matches and negative keywords that limit response from customers you cannot fulfill; survey responders report that eliminating broad matches worked to reduce their cost-per-click.
- Be relentless. Recording phone call conversions for future learning by the entire team rocketed our client’s ability to improve. Service providers like disaster restoration specialists very effectively use pay-per-click advertising to drive potential customers with urgent needs to call. Listening to these phone calls, and analyzing the best and worst of them inspired team-wide improvements that led directly to more sales again and again.
- Test every day. Automated keyword testing provides continual learning, supporting customers who need to find new sales. We’ve learned that all our customers need new sources; micro targeting and keyword testing success lead directly to creating more sales. Near impossible to do when leading campaigns by hand; manual campaign management is too time-intensive. Programming in extensive, ongoing keyword testing with a local focus on what’s working now revealed startling new sales and customer interests last year. Using our software to uniquely identify the exact keywords responsible for conversions online and by phone led to even deeper levels of growth.
- Be found. Customers searching for your products and services right now need you now. If they can’t find you, they move on. Forcing first page placement when needed, during highest volume seasons, is sometimes worth the cost. Search marketers who do not vary their paid ad spend to match the buying season miss valuable opportunities.