We’ve recently helped several of our clients who have had their websites hacked. It’s no fun. You may be blocked by Google, or even be dropped by your host provider. Lots of hassle, none of it good, and all of it an unwelcome interruption of profits and our ability to feed a continual stream of leads to your business.
At Ideagility, we’re sometimes the first to discover a customer’s security breach. Here’s our hard-won advice, what to do if your site is hacked. And, for those of you who’ve avoided the pain, we’ve included a few tips to help you stay safe.
What to Do if Your Site is Hacked
- Take your site offline immediately.
- Work with your IT provider to remove malicious software from your site. (If you find that your provider is unable to help, or is even unavailable to answer your urgent messages, it may be time to consider changing providers).
- Request a free Google malware review.
Tips to Help You Stay Safe from Hackers
Task your digital marketing partner with careful monitoring of your monthly traffic reports:
- If your website is about average in size, perhaps twenty pages total, and your Key Site Metrics Report suddenly shoots up into the hundreds of pages, this is a sign you have likely been hacked.
- If inbound links to your site dramatically increase, such as into the thousands, this is another likely sign that you’ve been hacked. Follow the steps above to take your site offline and address the security problems.
Ideagility immediately notifies clients when anything out of the ordinary appears in our Key Site Metrics Reports. More than once, we’ve discovered evidence of hacking so early, it’s before the business has been penalized by Google or other search providers. Alerting clients to red flags, so they can correct breaches, may be a little outside of our core service – getting you more leads. That’s ok. We’re fanatics about site security because we’re so committed to driving profitable conversions.
If you have any questions, give us call. We’d be happy to discuss your issues and to share how we can help you get more qualified leads.
Director of Marketing Operations